Monday, July 30, 2007

Retro Mall Video: Slim Jeans Commercial


Slim Jeans commercial (early '80s)

Behold, it's Slim Jeans! "The uncommon jeans for people with a common problem!" :D

Wow, I remember seeing these commercials on late night TV back in the day, and even remember seeing these, uh, "jeans" in stores and at the malls. They're actually still sold today in one form or another, especially in the backs of magazines and in gift catalogs and whatnot. Can't believe the stuff we buy sometimes (especially with this kind of ridiculous pitch in mind)!

The quality of this video is terrible, I know, but it's the only full-length one I could find (there's a much better version here on YouTube, but it's missing the beginning and I'm kind of a stickler for that sort of thing).

Labels: , , , , ,



6 Comments:

Blogger Scott Parsons said...

Let's see, Slim Jeans are neither for the slim nor are jeans. Discuss!
Another sign of the times, there is no XL available?
Scott

Mon Jul 30, 04:18:00 PM  
Blogger Cora Buhlert said...

Wear slim jeans, look silly, sweat like silly, get heat rash and don't lose weight.

Mon Jul 30, 05:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! I have a confession to make: I know these things as moon suits. I never knew they existed until my husband told me about it last summer. I used it to help me lose weight and when I first saw them I balked at buying and wearing them. Eventually I decided to wear the pants (as I didn't need the top really) but not vivisibly. I always wear normal sweat pants over these so no one sees. Hey, what can I say? It helped me lose twenty lbs last year.

Heh, heh, oh, yea and did I mention that I got them at Target? A friend of mine wanted to lose weight around her stomach area so I loaned her the top part that I never needed to use and when she first saw it her sarcastic remark was "Oh, this is going to be fun." She now refers to it as her second skin.

Mon Jul 30, 08:18:00 PM  
Blogger Cora Buhlert said...

So these things actually work? Colour me amazed?

Mon Jul 30, 09:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seemed to work for me. LOL. I went from 165lbs to 140lbs all from the sweating. LOL!!! I about died when I watched this after Keith posted it. I had no idea these were called "slim jeans". I only know them as moon or suana suits. But they do all look equally as dorky no matter the proper name.

Wed Aug 01, 05:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hilarious commercial!!!! lol

Thu Aug 02, 04:06:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

To see more posts, click on the monthly links
in the "Archives" section of the sidebar.