Saturday, October 28, 2006

Woolworth at Butte Plaza Mall


Butte, Montana - circa early '70s

While I'm saying this is a Woolworth store at the Butte Plaza Mall (which I read has fallen on some lean, tough times these days and is struggling for its retail life), the postcard doesn't actually say this is Butte Plaza Mall, only that it's in Butte, and is on Harrison Avenue (but in my cursory research, that alone seems to point only to this shopping center). At any rate, I may be wrong about that and welcome any positive identification/correction help, so we can be sure one way or the other.

So for the moment I'll go with my hunch, but whether or not it's right, I still like this shot all the same (wherever it's at), as evening falls on this Woolworth facade and adjoining plaza. Nice mood lighting, and I also really love seeing that distinctive '70s Woolworth logo, too. That's the one I remember best from childhood.

Edit: It's coroborated--this is indeed Butte Plaza Mall.

Mall history: 1970s? - present
Current aerial view
Current website: n/a
Previous entries: none



8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once again can someopne help me with the red lettering at the far end, what does that say?

Sat Oct 28, 12:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is the Butte Plaza Mall.

The red lettering at the far right is 'Buttreys'(pronounced 'but-reez')....the old grocery store that used to be there.

Sat Oct 28, 08:39:00 PM  
Blogger mega said...

looks rather bleak

Sun Oct 29, 05:45:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awcxeukThanks. It does look a bit bleak that's why the Buttrey's is the best part for me.

Sun Oct 29, 12:10:00 PM  
Blogger Scott Parsons said...

Buttrey's in Butte?
I hear Beavis and Butthead now... "you said butt"
Scott

Sun Oct 29, 06:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is most definitely Butte Plaza Mall.....being a native i'd know! Definitely Buttreys at the right end....my great gf worked there....so im quite familliar with it. Malls definitely a bit different now....not much there anymore....Herberger's (dept store), Penneys (dept store) bath & body works, a few clothing stores, etc....definitely cool to see it like this.

Here's the address for whats there now http://butteplazamall.org/aboutus.aspx

Sat Jan 17, 08:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is amazing! Thanks for posting. I have many memories shopping at Wollworths in the mall at Butte.

Fri Apr 08, 02:44:00 AM  
Blogger holly j said...

It’s Buttery’s food store.

Mon Jun 11, 08:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

To see more posts, click on the monthly links
in the "Archives" section of the sidebar.