Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Oakland Mall


Troy, Michigan - circa late '60s

Here's a great old postcard aerial view of Oakland Mall, in suburban Detroit (one of my own local childhood malls that I just recently talked about). The original (and still there) Sears anchor is at the East end of the mall (off of John R Road), and the 1968 Hudson's anchor addition (now Macy's) is holding down the West end, along I-75.

Also of particular note (especially if you grew up with this mall), is the mall's classic original sign visible in this picture (I do have better shots of it for future use)! Living right around this area, you couldn't help but see this glorious, towering sign all the time. I remember as a really small child being a little frightened of it, in fact, it was so huge and monstrous to me then!

As our family rambled into the sprawling parking lot in our Chevy station wagon (we always had Chevy station wagon's--needed 'em for trips Up North and to the drive-in), and passed this sign, I would always gaze up at it and secretly liken it to Godzilla or King Kong. It looked that big to me.

I also remember the pigeons loved it, too. Always tons of them up inside it! Of course, this wonderful sign is long gone now, replaced back in the '90s I believe it was, with a smaller, sleeker, much more modern version. In other words, totally boring and lacking all of the majestic character of the original.

Now all the pigeons have to nest across the road, on top of the flat and boring Barnes & Noble roof, in the Oakland Plaza strip mall. Poor pigeons.

Mall history: 1965 - present
Current website: here
Info from Wikipedia
Current aerial view
Previous entries: 1, 2



17 Comments:

Blogger Scott Parsons said...

Attack of the killer mall signs!!!
Sign ordinances all but killed signs that size anymore.
Scott

Tue Oct 10, 12:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't Macomb Mall have almost the exact same sign? If not, it was quite similar.

Tue Oct 10, 02:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe the pigeons like the sight and sounds of really overpriced books.

Tue Oct 10, 02:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say that I contributed the History section on Oakland Mall's Wikipedia page. There're still some things I'm not certain on, like when Wrigley's became JCPenney and when MC Sports opened.

Tue Oct 10, 04:14:00 PM  
Blogger Bill said...

Yep, Sears Hudsons Oakland Mall. It all ran together for me. (I believe Anonymous is right that the Macomb Mall sign was the same design.)

My family loved having that Wrigley's attached to the mall.

Tue Oct 10, 10:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Macomb and Oakland Malls had the same sign outside. We lived closer to Macomb than Oakland, but went to both. It's still a downer to see the Macy's name on the old Hudson's building at the malls!

Mon Oct 23, 01:35:00 PM  
Blogger Terry said...

I think the Macomb Mall sign is actually still there at the corner of Gratiot and Masonic. I hope it always stays. Livonia Mall was also like these malls and actually had the exact shape, but in reverse, of Macomb Mall. I think the Wrigleys closed and was torn down to make room for that whole "new" back wing sometime in the mid 80's, though Wrigleys may have closed long before the addition. I can't remember for sure.

Fri Jan 12, 03:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, I remember that sign, I was so disappointed when they removed it, I believe in 1997. Macomb Mall on Gratiot still has the similar old sign, however.

Wed Jan 17, 03:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I shop at Macomb Mall, and that big old sign is still there. But I heard that the new owners wanted to replace it with something "more modern". Come on, its a landmark!

Sun Oct 19, 11:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please can anyone tell me what were the two major stores of the Macomb Mall. I went back there to see it and only Sears is open. What was the other major department store.

Sat Apr 18, 10:49:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

does anyone know the name of the restaurant that was located next to the Tie Rack in Macomb Mall...near the fountain?

Sat Jul 04, 05:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crowley's was the other anchor store at Macomb Mall.

Mon Nov 09, 04:48:00 PM  
Anonymous MallratStef said...

My mall as well. im obsessed with all these malls ESP "Meadowbrook Mall" in Rochester Hills that was hooked to the now defunct "Franks Nursery" I grew up right next to it and was in there everyday! it actually had a tiny thetre that only showed old 3 stooges and Abbott and Costello films....everything always changes i am now today taking my son (3) on a tour of the malls in our area...

Tue Feb 26, 09:03:00 AM  
Blogger AMJ said...

Crowley's

Sun Oct 04, 08:27:00 AM  
Blogger AMJ said...

Crowley's

Sun Oct 04, 08:27:00 AM  
Blogger johnnylzr said...

Would love to see the other shots of that sign if possible!

Thu Nov 29, 10:16:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think the image is from the mid 1970's. The "Top of Troy" building in the backgound was not completed until 1975. I think I remember in the late 60's the mall was quite small, with two anchor stores on each side of a central court. Later the south section was added (Hudson's to Sears) and the old part was demoed. Then much later the two story JC Penny section was added to the north side. That's my memory.

Fri Sep 01, 12:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

To see more posts, click on the monthly links
in the "Archives" section of the sidebar.