Monday, October 09, 2006

Westland Center Mall Grooviness

Westland, Michigan - July 23, 1965

Close-up view of happy shoppers (I would be too!) riding in the beautiful Glass Elevator located in the dandy East Court of Westland Center mall. This vintage photo dates from around the time of the shopping center's original grand opening.

To the left I've added a great shot of the same area and elevator, from a previous entry, because I thought it'd be fun to be able to get a quick overview look at the whole East Court, in color, for added perspective and coolness. As well, here's the caption from the back of that other Westland postcard:
"Designed both as a show piece and as a facility for viewing the East Court, as well as carrying passengers to their destinations, the Glass Elevator moves slowly within an ornamental frame between concourse, main floor and the second floor."
Mall history: 1965 - present
Developer: J.L. Hudson Company
Current website: here
Current aerial view
Info from Wikipedia
Previous entries: 1, 2, 3, 4

(Image courtesy and © Wayne State University)



6 Comments:

Blogger Scott Parsons said...

Glass elevator? Looked like they were in a prison cell! :)
Fantastic pictures! I love the groovy architecture!
Scott

Tue Oct 10, 12:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's way more decorative wrought iron than a prison cell's.

Tue Oct 10, 02:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome! Those are even more beautiful up close.

Tue Oct 10, 04:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never thought about it that way Cora. It could resemble one of those elevators. As a kid I remember frequenting this old apartment building where friends of my parents lived and they had an elevator just like that. It used to creep me out at times. The bars did feel like a jail cell.

Wed Oct 11, 07:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never thought about it that way Cora. It could resemble one of those elevators. As a kid I remember frequenting this old apartment building where friends of my parents lived and they had an elevator just like that. It used to creep me out at times. The bars did feel like a jail cell.

Wed Oct 11, 07:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kieth, do you have an e-mail to send files to? I don't see any contact info listed on the blog.

Mon Apr 13, 04:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

To see more posts, click on the monthly links
in the "Archives" section of the sidebar.