Saturday, September 23, 2006

Retro Retail Video: Sears Freeze-In

Freeze-In (1969)

Um... Wow. This vintage Sears training film is pretty dang goofy, lol! I mean, really. But, once again, you just gotta dig the cheesy, groovy vibe of it all--not to mention all the crazy colors, music, and clothes!

Here's the video description: "Made for Sears appliance salesmen, this film tries to capitalize on the zany format of TV's Laugh-In, to introduce the new Kenmore freezer campaign. Even though the film features two of the stars from Laugh-In - Arte Johnson and Judy Carne - it is clear that the director of this ephemeral gem missed the point."

And thank god, he did, I say! Enjoy. :D

Note: Video is Flash format. If you don't see it, you must temporarily disable your ad-blocking programs.


Anonymous Zubby said...

Very interesting...

...but excrutiatingly dated!

Sat Sep 23, 07:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course it's dated, but then, ha, that's the whole point of this blog! All the mall pictures are excrutiatingly dated too. But in a good way. :D

These old ephemera videos just knock me out.

Sat Sep 23, 07:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Ross said...

Maybe it was a training video intended to reach an audience on psychadelic drugs.

Sat Sep 23, 09:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Matt from CLT said...

Whoa...I'm pretty much at a loss for words. All I know is that I never saw any videos like this when I worked at Rich's...

Sat Sep 23, 09:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that the guy from Laugh-In? I forgot his name, he played the nazi soldier

Sun Sep 24, 04:39:00 PM  
Blogger Cora said...

Hey, it's the 21st century, so where is my fishbowl helmet?

I'm not familiar with Laugh-In and judging by the total lack of funniness of the two performers I don't think it's a great loss. Of course, the clip is funny as hell anyway - just unintentionally so. And the dig against competitor Montgomery Ward is genuinely funny.

By the way, what was the point of the "Very interesting" guy with the goofy hats and helmets?

Frankly, what was the point of this whole clip? It seems strange that Sears would hire to well-known comedians (who likely didn't coem cheap) just for the sake of making a goofy internal training video. Maybe I worked at all the wrong places, but we never got training videos like this. And the training value of this clip is close to nil, unless they were trying to train their employees in coming up with really lame jokes. Hell, they even give some excellent arguments why this whole time bank concept isn't as great as advertised, e.g. the flood of salami sandwiches.

My parents had one of these coffin-type freezers by the way, and I vastly prefered it to the stand-up units of today (in which I have more problems finding things than in the old ones). Alas, they seem to have gone out of fashion. Probably due to this whole time bank nonsense.

Sun Sep 24, 04:59:00 PM  
Anonymous didi said...

I can't believe this was a training video. The sexuality in this film is just too risque for "training"

Mon Sep 25, 09:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Bobby said...

To Anonymous #2: Yes, that is the guy from Laugh-In. Geez, I'm only 19 and I know that was Arte Johnson!

As for this film... wow, that is crazy. Couldn't they have worked the word "bippy" in there somewhere?

Tue Sep 26, 06:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Bobby, you must have been watching the Laugh-In reruns like I was on the now extinct TRIO channel. I guess it was the precursor to SNL.

Sat Sep 30, 09:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

To see more posts, click on the monthly links
in the "Archives" section of the sidebar.