Thursday, August 10, 2006

Belden Village Mall


Canton, Ohio - circa 1970

This is a repost of an earlier photo I ran last year. The beautiful interior of Belden Village Mall (now called the Westfield Belden Village, if you listen to The Westfield Group). This is an upgraded, color-corrected version of my previous photo, that is much more accurate as to the actual true color scheme of the mall circa the early '70s, at the time of this shot. A very noticeable difference if you compare the two.

Thanks very much to, JP Kabala, who sent me this photo several months ago, and had this to say about it:
"I color-corrected your picture. Not only did I work there at one time, but the original architect is a friend of mine, so I remember it well. While icky Harvest Gold was certainly a part of the color scheme, it was not the only color. That appears to be BVM as it was originally designed and remained from 1970 to 1983 or so. There have been several “remodels” the most sweeping in the mid-80‘s."
Again, thanks JP! Now if you could just tell me the name of the architect, and maybe the definite year this mall first opened if you know (looks like 1970, from what you said), then I'd be all set.

Mall history: 1970(?) - present
Current website: here
Current aerial view
Previous entries: 1, 2



7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is that cool looking store with the pink interior, couldn't read the sign. Awesome photo.

Fri Aug 11, 09:43:00 AM  
Blogger Scott Parsons said...

I can spot the Thom McAnn back there, though.
Scott

Fri Aug 11, 01:30:00 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

I think you're right on the name, Cora. Looks like that anyway.

Tue Aug 15, 04:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I spent most of my teenage years in that mall (ca. late 1970's) so seeing this picture brought back a LOT of memories. I cannot remember what that pink store was either but I remember the card store on the corner (seen just at the right edge)...we used to go in there all the time to laugh at the cards. wow.

Sun Mar 18, 10:28:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At one point in the late 70s it was Thom McCan Shoes, Fannie May or Fannie Farmer Chocolates, a petite clothing store, and the Hallmark Cards store

Sun Apr 26, 10:39:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This post is prob so old no one will be able to help me. But.... I'm looking into the history of the belden-village-mall. My grandmother, Joan Robinson-Kessler (as she signed her paintings i have), not sure what she went by at that time. She was a sculpture artist. She and my mom told me she was one of the sculpture artists/designers for the mall. specifically the finished product at the entrance - the grand sculptures hanging from the ceiling beyond the glass entrance. Not sure if any of it is true but she owned her company in the 70s. Obviously she is gone now but wanted to know if anyone had any history for my kids.

Thu Oct 14, 08:44:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

she was the artist who made the sculpture on the outside. I just can't find any info. my mom said she helped her install it. she would have been 18yrs. The pic website below. the sculpture on the top outside

https://mallwalkers.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/BV-Postcard-1.jpg

Thu Oct 14, 09:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

To see more posts, click on the monthly links
in the "Archives" section of the sidebar.