Saturday, July 01, 2006

Old Orchard Shopping Center


Skokie, Illinois - 1985

Here's a great, moody picture! It's also right on the borderline of how recent I want to call "vintage" and share here. But the shot is so cool that I'm gonna indulge myself and dip into '85 for a sec today. :) If it was much later, I'd probably not post it. 1985 just barely squeaks in I guess.

Photo caption: "Photograph of the Montgomery Ward store at the Old Orchard Shopping Center in Skokie, Illinois in 1985. The photograph shows the view looking east from the shopping center outside Montgomery Ward's including the Evans Store."

Mall history: 1954 - present
Architect: Richard Marsh Bennett (1907-1996)
Current website: here
Current aerial view
Previous entries: 1, 2, 3

(Image courtesy and © the Skokie Public Library)



4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that this wards is now where the Nordstrom sits.

Sat Jul 01, 10:36:00 AM  
Blogger Scott Parsons said...

Wow, that is depressing. Must have been winter. Nevertheless, it's one of the more artsy postcards I've seen.
Scott

Tue Jul 04, 12:30:00 AM  
Blogger Livemalls said...

The starkness of the light makes that a very elegant postcard, I think.

Tue Jul 04, 08:53:00 PM  
Blogger pJ said...

I believe at this end was the Houlihans. Is that still there? I've been to the mall since it's renovation, but I don't know if they got rid of that. That was the first place I was exposed to the phenomenon known as Fajitas.

Also, and I might have repeated this somewhere else, but back in the 70's they didn't lock the old parking structure and for north side kids it was good make-out spot. However, my brother and his girlfriend got busted by the Skokie cops, so I guess they must have been patrolling for teens!

Also, just around the corner of the mall was the Poppin Fresh, which is of course now Baker's Square. I could go for some French Silk pie right now.

pJ

Tue Jul 11, 03:45:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

To see more posts, click on the monthly links
in the "Archives" section of the sidebar.