Monday, May 01, 2006

Ala Moana Center


Honolulu, Hawaii - 196o's

Aloha! Here's a dreamy 1966 (year I was born) aerial view of the sprawling Ala Moana shopping center in Honolulu. Wish I were there. Course, I'd still want it to be 1966, though, so I'll have to work on that one. :)

As a bonus, here's a neat little page with some interactive "virtual tour" photos of the mall, from the very cool site, VTHawaii.Com, and click here to check out a current aerial view of the mall and beautiful surrounding areas in Waikiki--zoom out for a really stunning view!

Mall history: 1959 - present
Architect: John Graham Jr. (1908-1991)
Current website: here.



4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keith,
I think that photo is pre-1966. Liberty House and Penney's opened in 1966 and they are not shown in this picture.
Paul

Tue May 02, 02:50:00 AM  
Blogger Keith said...

Thanks, Paul! Ah,it was actually supposed to have said 1960's, not 1966. I see now what happened--I got it mixed up with another I happened to be looking at whilst preparing that post. Crossed the dates up there as I went to press. Heh. Whoops. I adjusted it.

Tue May 02, 05:53:00 AM  
Blogger todd said...

You can see that fantastic SEARS script on the far left!

Tue May 02, 09:36:00 AM  
Blogger Scott Parsons said...

Ah... Liberty House. I loved that store. Used to get my Snoopy clothes there in the Seventies.
Scott

Tue May 02, 02:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

To see more posts, click on the monthly links
in the "Archives" section of the sidebar.