Saturday, April 22, 2006

Colonial Plaza


Orlando, Florida - 1963

Here's a super-cool shot for your super-cool Saturday! This is a photo taken at Colonial Plaza (now the "Colonial Plaza Market Place") when it was still just a strip mall in the early '60s, before it was expanded into a full-fledged shopping mall soonafter. This picture is from a promotional book that was produced for the Minute Maid convention of 1963, entitled, "The Look of the Leader." And our mysterious "leader" appears to be on his way out of Colonial Plaza right now, striding confidently past the Howard store on the right, and the "Mode-O-Day" store on the left!

I really want to thank, Linda Bonvie, for e-mailing me this great photo, and the background details that go with it. I really appreciate the fun submission, Linda, thanks! And you're right; this guy does look like a CIA dude! Or a Man in Black. Maybe he had just taken care of some aliens in the mall. :)

Mall history: 1955 - 1995
Previous entries: 1



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the picture. My grandmother use to her own Mode-O-Day. I was her 7 year old helper. My job was to clean the mirrors in the dressing rooms.

Sat Apr 22, 02:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome! I grew up near this place and this picture confirms my suspicions that this was at one time an outdoor mall. I read a book about the history of the mall and it said that a lot of outdoor malls were converted to indoor by slapping a roof on top and that the floors slant towards the middle for rainfall. I'm sure the man was headed towards the Tupperware Convention Center just down the street for his Minute Maid Meeting.

Mon Apr 24, 06:50:00 AM  
Blogger Keith said...

LOL! I think you may be onto something with the JFK thing, linda. Hehe. And Cora's prolly right about that case! It all makes sense now... :D

Thanks also, Anonymous #1 and 2, for sharing the fun Colonial memories. Really good stuff.

Thu Apr 27, 10:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

To see more posts, click on the monthly links
in the "Archives" section of the sidebar.