Thursday, April 20, 2006

Vintage Shopping District


Laredo, Texas - 1960's(?)

No mall here, just an old retail postcard street scene I really enjoy--similar to the Willow Lawn and Alpena ones I shared before. Here's a little stretch of a shopping district in Laredo, all aglow on a damp, rainsoaked Texas evening. A Three Sisters store is on the left, and a La Perla dept. store on the right (not familiar with those myself).

This photo kind of captures the magical, romanticized childhood memories I have of shopping centers, department stores, and the world in general, when I was a kid in the '70s. As well, my dad's from Tennessee and my mom lived in Texas for a bit, so growing up, we took many fun vacations "down south", and stopped at or drove through, many streets that looked just like this in those days. So this shot looks extra sweet to me.



4 Comments:

Blogger Keith said...

Yeah, thanks, Cora, I love it too!

Thu Apr 20, 08:50:00 PM  
Blogger Livemalls said...

I remember Three Sisters. They were a dress shop kind of like Lerners. My cousin's wife managed one of their stores in Des Moines back in the '70s.

Fri Apr 21, 07:28:00 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

Thanks for the additional, info, Steve.

Thu Apr 27, 11:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found out that Three Sisters was a mid-level women's clothing store owned by the Petrie brand who also owned Jean Nicole as well as others.

Thu May 11, 09:01:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

To see more posts, click on the monthly links
in the "Archives" section of the sidebar.