Thursday, April 05, 2007

Coddingtown Mall


Santa Rosa, California - circa 1960s

Great aerial view of one of Sonoma County's classic shopping destinations, Coddingtown Mall (now partly owned by Simon Property Group, Inc.). The mall is currently anchored by JCPenney, Macy's, and Gottschalk's, and is still a beautiful place to shop even today, according to our resident Northern California malls expert, BIGMallrat, who noted:

"Coddingtown Mall has the most beautiful ceiling I've ever seen in an enclosed shopping center. It reflects the redwood surroundings of Santa Rosa.

The mall is light and bright and really pleasant. The interior corridors are wide and easy to stroll. You can tell this was an open air center at one time because the floor is noticeable higher in some areas."

Mall history: 1961 - present
Developer: Codding Enterprises
Current website: here
Current aerial view
Previous entries: none

(Study image courtesy of Sonoma State University Library)

Labels: , , , ,



5 Comments:

Blogger Scott Parsons said...

That's an awesome aerial before the enclosure! I really need to update my write-up of this mall! The reason why I went that way evaporated. Now I need to make a special trip (ugh, traffic is awful that way).
I bet I know a certain someone who would LOVE the rotating Codding Town sign!! (yes, it does make a slight creaking noise when it rotates!)
Scott

Thu Apr 05, 07:28:00 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Love this old pic of Coddingtown. I remember it from before it was enclosed. Also, thank you hushpuppy because I was trying to remember the name Liberty House. I still remember the black pumps I bought there one time.

SR native

Fri May 04, 07:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Randy said...

thakls for the photo. i grew up ther and remember this mall very well.

Wed Jan 25, 07:04:00 AM  
Blogger halman said...

Wow, taht's great. I mean, now is a common practice but I imagine that in those times it was a novelty. I have seen some of these pictures, my brother sent me some of these thorugh whatsapp. I don't have it on the phone, but if you don't have whats up download it from the internet is easy.

Mon May 26, 10:57:00 AM  
Blogger Craig Smith said...

I've been there just ahout two weeks ago. It looks nice but it feels kind of empty (a bunch of vacant stores). I've gone to its Target and Whole Foods stores.

I wonder how do people access that unused second floor because it would be awesome if it started to be used (which will pretty much only happen once that new Nordstrom Rack store comes in fall of 2016)

Sat Feb 20, 03:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

To see more posts, click on the monthly links
in the "Archives" section of the sidebar.