Tuesday, August 28, 2007

MOA Galleria - Spider-Man At Korvettes In Sunrise Mall, 1977


Massapequa, New York - 1977

Spider-Man makes a promotional appearance at the Korvettes store in Sunrise Mall in 1977! This image is courtesy of my friends at the fantastic Mego Museum, the website devoted to vintage Mego toys (thanks especially to Brian over there, for alerting me to these!). Here's a description from their page (where there's more shots!):
"We've all heard of Mego Store appearances to promote toy lines, many of us even have fond fond memories but few photographs remain. Enter Megomuseum member Doug Knoth with his amazing recently unearthed photos from a store appearance at a Korvette's in the Sunrise Mall, Masapequa NY around 1977 to promote the World's Greatest Superheroes as well as the Micronauts. Spider-Man and Acroyear pose (above) in the mall for children next to my parents patio furniture."
And hey, while you're digging on this photo, don't forget about the other Spider-Man mall shot I blogged before from an old East Towne Mall appearance. You can dig on that one, too! :)

See more Sunrise Mall here!
See more MOA Galleria here!

Labels: , , , , , ,



12 Comments:

Blogger Cora Buhlert said...

Who's the other character in the blue suit with the red helmet supposed to be?

Tue Aug 28, 08:08:00 AM  
Blogger Scott Parsons said...

I think I'm more afraid of that patio set in the background!
Scott

Tue Aug 28, 11:54:00 AM  
Blogger Cora Buhlert said...

I know people who used to have a patio set like that well into the 1990s. It was even scarier in person.

Tue Aug 28, 05:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am guessing that the other guy in the suit is a micronaut. Big assumption of course but he/she/it just looks like a micronaut even though I have no effing clue what one is supposed to look like.

Whoever had that patio set, did the children grow up blind because that sure blinds me now just looking at it.

Tue Aug 28, 07:41:00 PM  
Blogger Cora Buhlert said...

The children were older than me and so far not blind.

Tue Aug 28, 10:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you sure this is sunrise mall. I dont remember a Korvettes at this mall, is this sunrise mall on long island

Tue Aug 28, 10:43:00 PM  
Blogger Plaidstallions said...

That other character is a Micronaut, his name is giant Acroyear.

Marvel comics ran a service that provided malls and fairs with costumed heroes, I have the brochure on my other site:

http://www.plaidstallions.com/marvel/index.html

My parents had that exact patio set BTW.

Wed Aug 29, 02:06:00 PM  
Blogger Nicholas M. DiMaio said...

Can anyone believe this mall has a Wal-Mart as an anchor now? When Stern's died... it also has a "vintage" Macy's store and signage outside too.

Wed Aug 29, 05:06:00 PM  
Blogger Cora Buhlert said...

Ah yes, the Micronauts. I faintly remember the name from the comics, but I don't think I ever read one or saw a toy.

Wed Aug 29, 05:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was never a comic book rat but I guess I can pat myself on the back. I guessed right! LOL!

Thu Aug 30, 04:30:00 PM  
Blogger Livemalls said...

I'm just glad the superheroes are there to protect everyone from the patio set.

We had that furniture, but my parents bought it at Grant's.

Thu Aug 30, 10:47:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

To August 28 at 10:43. There was a Korvette's at the Sunrise Mall until around 1980 or 1981 when the chain closed. On that location there was later a Stern's, and today, WalMart.

Sun Nov 18, 12:54:00 PM  

<< Home

To see more posts, click on the monthly links
in the "Archives" section of the sidebar.