Monday, June 18, 2007

MOA Galleria - Universal Mall Vintage Decor


Warren, Michigan - circa 1980s

Since precious little vintage Universal Mall material has surfaced online (or in my inbox) yet, I'm reduced to recreating my own for this relatively obscure little cult mall I grew up with in Warren, MI. And that's what the above graphic is. It's my own Photoshop rendition of the forest-themed wall mural (or wallpaper) that hung in certain areas of Universal Mall's funky interior back in the early to mid '80s, and possibly before.

This design is based on my 1986 Universal Mall Boat Show video, where you can see quick glimpses of the mall's mural art in the background of certain shots. Obviously it was there in early 1986 (the time of the video), but my own youthful memories of this decor element go further back than that. How far back it actually does date in the mall I'm not sure, but it's possible it goes back to the late '70s at least (not that anyone on Earth really cares besides me). Either way, I just dug the design and thought I'd try to recreate it and document it here on the blog--for posterity's sake if nothing else.

More Universal Mall: 1, 2

Labels: , , , , , ,



8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keith, not to fear, you are NOT the only person in the world who digs that design! That makes a groovy wallpaper on my comp. Great job!!!

Mon Jun 18, 06:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Universal Mall too, you are definitely not the only person who cares! Have you heard about the plans to close it down?

Mon Jun 18, 10:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That wallpapaer looks A LOT like the walpaper in an apertment I used to live in. The landlord inherited a custom wallcovering business from his father, and used his father's 60's designs to decorate the apartment.
He also designed some of the sets in the movie That Thing You Do, directed by Tom Hanks. It was set in the early '60's.

Fri Jun 22, 07:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now how can I design a whole apartment building with 60s wallpaper? My father owns an apartment. I should work extra hard to do some convincing for him that wallpaper is better than painting everytime someone new moves in. LOL!

Sat Jun 23, 11:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grew up in Warren (lived there from 1965-1980), close by to the mall. I recall a huge tiled wall mural that looked much like Universal Studios logo today with the. Does anyone else remember that?

Sun Oct 03, 03:03:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

There was a huge tile mosaic of a space scene on the entrance back in the 60s. That entrance was demolished when they expanded the mall to add the Mervyns (i think) wing.

Wed Mar 15, 05:37:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Would like to see universal mall mosaic.

Sun Jun 06, 01:03:00 PM  
Blogger tonelabone said...

That mosaic was the best. Solar System. It seems to be an illusive photo.

Thu Jul 20, 09:51:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

To see more posts, click on the monthly links
in the "Archives" section of the sidebar.