Friday, May 04, 2007

MOA Galleria - Dixie Square Mall Montgomery Wards


Montgomery Wards interior
(©2001 Christopher W. Trice)

Funky interior design--'70s shopping mall style! Back in 2001 photographer, Christopher Trice, documented the abandoned remnants of the Dixie Square Mall in Harvey, Illinois, for his "Dixie Square Mall Series". Here are a couple of the Montgomery Ward images from it that I dug due to the obviously frozen-in-time state of vintage '70s (or '60s?) decor they capture--interior store design still left over from retail days long gone by.


Men’s Jackets, Montgomery Wards
(©2001 Christopher W. Trice)

Of this series Trice said: "My work at Dixie Square Mall is an effort not to find beauty, but to create it." Tough assignment from the looks of things.

Here's an overview from the site I found these photos at:
"In The Dixie Square Mall Series, Christopher Trice examines the space and socioeconomic import of a long-abandoned shopping center in one of Chicago’s south suburbs. Dangling wires, fallen ceiling tiles, and peeling wallpaper evidence the decay of otherwise familiar store interiors now ravaged by vandals and weather alike. Yet the attention to color and closely controlled composition of Trice’s photographs transcend the merely documentary, generating a beauty otherwise absent from this crumbling structure."
More Dixie Square Mall: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Labels: , , , ,



7 Comments:

Blogger Cora Buhlert said...

A nice look back at the groovy wallpaper designs of the 1960s/1970s. A pity about the bad state they're in. But if the mall had survived, I doubt we would still be seeing these little gems.

Why did wallpaper get so boring anyway?

Fri May 04, 08:41:00 AM  
Blogger Jon Konrath said...

I worked at a Wards in the 80s, and the stockrooms behind the scenes had remenants of the old decoration from the 60s and 70s, frozen in time. I wish I could have gotten in there with a camera before it all got torn out.

Fri May 04, 10:33:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Like they said in the '70s.... Far Out, man!!

That shot of the wallpaper....that just made me dizzy staring at it for a while.

Ahh, nothing like '60s & '70s design.

Sat May 05, 12:09:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to inform you about this but the wallpaper you see here is now gone due to an accidental demolition of the Wards building.

Sun May 06, 09:28:00 AM  
Blogger Cora Buhlert said...

Even if the building hadn't been accidentally demolished (How did that happen anyway? Sounds like setting new records of sheer ineptness), thr wallpaper wouldn't have survived anyway, I fear.

Mon May 07, 12:20:00 AM  
Blogger Retro Attic said...

My dad used to live in Harvey before it became such run down area. I will have to ask if he ever went to this mall.

Mon May 07, 12:22:00 AM  
Blogger Retro Attic said...

I just talked to my dad and apparently my grandparents still have a cabinet stereo system that came from this mall!! And.....thanks to you I have become obsessed reading everything on the net I can find about this place. It's fascinating!

Mon May 07, 10:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

To see more posts, click on the monthly links
in the "Archives" section of the sidebar.