Saturday, May 12, 2007

MOA Galleria - Northway Mall Ball


Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - 1964

Vintage photo of folks dancing inside Northway Mall during some special event in 1964. I couldn't resist also including the still below, from one of my favorite weird movies, Carnival of Souls (1962). When I saw the Northway Mall picture, I instantly thought of this scene from the movie (yes, I'm strange like that)...


Carnival of Souls - 1962

But mainly I just dug the idea that these people (in the first pic) were actually ballroom dancing inside Northway Mall! Something kind of odd looking (and spooky) about that scene. I doubt the mall does this anymore, though, heh.

Mall history: 1962 - present
Current website: here
Info from Wikipedia
Current aerial view
Previous entries: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

(Study image courtesy The Shoppes at Northway)

Labels: , , , ,



4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you're right, that DOES resemble Carnival of Souls! (One of my favorite movies, too.)

Sat May 12, 12:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Movies and malls, they mix so well together!!!

No more ballroom dances in malls, I can assure you. KInda sad that no one dresses up at malls anymore and dances elegantly in front of Florshiem Shoes.

Sun May 13, 08:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gotta say, that is a brilliant (and hilarious) comparison!!! :-D

Mon Jul 23, 06:30:00 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Love this movie, too! It was actually on IFC today, and even tho I own it I always watch movies I love on television

Used to love shopping at this mall back in the day, was always fascinated by the birdcage :-)

Thanks for a great website!

Sat Aug 25, 10:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

To see more posts, click on the monthly links
in the "Archives" section of the sidebar.