Saturday, December 23, 2006

The Daily Mall Reader: Christmas Toys

A daily dose of mall-related reading...

Trying to get that old toy feeling again

Detroit Free Press - December 17, 2006

(Excerpt) It's not the little slot cars I miss. Oh, I loved them. I really loved them. They were hot red and hot yellow and you pressed a little controller and you raced them around a track -- until, having pressed the controller too hard, you caused them to go flying out of a curve and onto the floor.

But it's not the cars themselves I miss. It's the feeling they caused. The feeling of anticipation. I was 8 or 9 years old, and a slot car set was my holiday present that year. Somehow I knew it. Maybe I peeked. Maybe my parents told me. Who can remember? All I knew was a brand new slot car set was going to be mine on a certain day at a certain time and I could barely control my excitement.

Read the full article here.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

To see more posts, click on the monthly links
in the "Archives" section of the sidebar.