Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Vintage Paris Airport Shopping Commercial


Paris Airport Shopping commercial (1971)

Here's another vintage commercial that really doesn't have a lot to do with anything I guess (though it is about shopping), but I just like its ambiance so I'm posting it here (like this one). Best of all, it uses a Bee Gees song!

Anyway, this is a 1971 French TV commercial (so I have no idea what they're saying) touting the rich and varied shopping opportunities at the Paris Airport. Truly a shopping experience for the Jet set!

Note: Video is Flash format. If you don't see it, you must temporarily disable your ad-blocking programs.



3 Comments:

Blogger Scott Parsons said...

"Yes, I'll take the third pipe bomb on the right, please."
Interesting that they are advertising the airport like a mall for jet-setters. Obviously before airport terrorism.
Scott

Wed Sep 27, 01:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what they're saying either but it's still very cool.

Wed Sep 27, 05:33:00 PM  
Blogger Chris Sobieniak said...

Should be of note the song is the Bee Gees' "I Started A Joke".

The emphasis on the airport shopping experience in ads was actually quite common in Europe well into the 1980s and 1990s. For example, Amsterdam's Schiphol airport used to emphasize the great shopping opportunities in their "Buy & Fly" ads, but then Schiphol does have a big mall accessible both to flight passengers and casual shoppers. Still my favourite airport.

It would figure this was what it was all about. I only wish I could go back to those days when it all seemed so simple.

Sat Sep 30, 04:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

To see more posts, click on the monthly links
in the "Archives" section of the sidebar.