Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Garden State Plaza (aka Westfield Garden State Plaza)


Paramus, New Jersey - August 26, 1970

Interesting historical photo snapped during the "Women’s March for Equality" at the Garden State Plaza mall (aka Westfield Garden State Plaza) in the summer of 1970. Uppity women unite! If you're interested you can read more about the event over at the page I found this photo on.

Groovy chicks, groovy fashions (check that dude's Bermuda shorts), and a cute little baby in a groovy stroller, what's not to love? Best of all, they're standing in front of an early-seventies Garden State Plaza, which, even though we can't see much of it, is really my main point here.

Mall history: 1957 - present
Current website: here
Current aerial view
Previous entries: 1, 2, 3

(Study image courtesy & ©2002 The Women's Project of New Jersey, Inc.)

Labels: , , ,



6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great picture...

Tue May 29, 07:25:00 AM  
Blogger Cora Buhlert said...

A bunch of uppity women and one rather goofy looking male. Based on this picture at least, it's obvious who'd win the battle of the sexes.

Wed May 30, 09:28:00 PM  
Blogger Retro Attic said...

Love the fashion!

Thu May 31, 01:01:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing spells Women's LIb like barely there short skirts. I know I have a picture of my mother in a similar dress circa a couple of years after that one.
Hey, I think I saw dude's bermuda shorts at New York and Company yesterday repackaged for a woman of the 21st century.

Thu May 31, 05:48:00 PM  
Blogger Cora Buhlert said...

I actually own a handful of vintage late 1960s/early 1970s minidresses, including a miniskirted wedding dress. I even used to wear them as a teenager, but by now I have grown taller and bustier than the average 1960s woman and they no longer fit properly.

I still treasure them, though.

Thu May 31, 07:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mother had kept some of her vintage early 70s stuff for a while when I was kid but I have no idea what she did with most of them in the several years since. I know she still has some late 80s evening dresses hanging around yet strangely I am not so interested in rediscovering those.

Sat Jun 02, 01:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

To see more posts, click on the monthly links
in the "Archives" section of the sidebar.