Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Southdale Center


Edina, Minnesota - circa 1960s

More Southdale Center goodness--this time in technicolor! This photograph isn't specifically dated so I'm not real sure of the year here, but I think it's sometime around the '60s.

PS: I have family in town visiting right now, so I'm not on the computer much lately--as you could probably tell. Posting frequency (and volume) on MOA will return to normal levels again very soon!

Mall history: 1956 - present
Architect: Victor Gruen
Current website: here
Current aerial view
Resource articles: 1, 2, 3, 4
Info from Wikipedia
Previous entries: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it trying to be semi-patriotic with the white and red color scheme or just plain ole clownish?

Wed Jan 31, 10:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was there in the beginning. Opening week. The last time I was there was 1975. I sure don't remember any tables with umbrellas. What I do remember is coin operated lockers along the walls of the entryways so we could get out of our heavy winter clothes and drop off packages while we shopped. Of course I would remember that, now that I live in California. Something else I seem to recall... weren't the parking lots marked with animals instead of letters? Hmm. Hadn't thought about that in 3 decades. Thanks for the memories.

Sun Feb 04, 01:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

To see more posts, click on the monthly links
in the "Archives" section of the sidebar.