Saturday, November 25, 2006

Crossroads Shopping Center


Waterloo, Iowa - circa early '70s

Q
uality isn't great on this vintage postcard image of the Crossroads Shopping Center, but I'm going to use it anyway because this is a mall I haven't covered here yet (though I did cover a Crossroads Shopping Center in Omaha before), so I want to at least get it represented in the archives finally. Meantime, I'll look for a better version for future use.

The JCPenney anchor is visible in this photo, as well as a Sears, and Osco Drug. According to the Wikipedia entry, Crossroads is:
"...the dominant shopping center in northeast Iowa with a trade area that extends more than 50 miles. Its anchor stores include Dillard's, JCPenney, Sears and Younkers. The key retailers in the mall include Scheels All Sports, Old Navy, Victoria's Secret, Bath & Body Works, The Buckle, PacSun, Maurices, Chistopher & Banks, Journeys and Finish Line. The mall is located in the heart of a retail hub that includes a new 12 screen theater, Best Buy, Super Target, Super Wal-Mart, Barnes & Noble, Bed Bath & Beyond and many other national tenants."
Mall history: 1970 - present
Current website: here
Info from Wikipedia
Previous entries: none



6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dorminant?

Sat Nov 25, 05:21:00 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

Besides that, it was also dominant. Lol.

Guess I gotta start spell-checking the Wiki text I directly paste (I always assume it's been), cuz I missed that one.

Sat Nov 25, 06:40:00 PM  
Blogger Scott Parsons said...

I loved the old Penney's and Sears script. Even the orange "Osco Drug" sign.
Scott

Sun Nov 26, 11:15:00 AM  
Blogger OtherMichael said...

My mother grew up in Waterloo so I spent many holidays there; I bought the first book that I can recall buying with my own money in a B. Dalton's in Crossroads.

And a few years later, the novelty shop yielded the amazing disappointment of Black Soap.

Mon Nov 27, 03:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL, Keith! Well, I knew it had to be dominant, but I thought that a possiblity could have been dormant. I mean seems to fit present tense.

Mon Nov 27, 10:52:00 PM  
Blogger AnnMarie said...

The Balck Soap! Oh, I do remember that! (I'm his sister and was in on the purchase. Our great-aunt immediately noticed the replacement soap.) My favorite memory, however, is Bishop's Buffet, which our grandparents always took us to.

Tue Nov 28, 03:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

To see more posts, click on the monthly links
in the "Archives" section of the sidebar.